People have been trying crazy diets for fast weight loss since the 10th century when William The Conqueror invented “the all-liquid diet”. He had gotten so fat that he could not get up on his horse and so, wanting to lose weight fast, he decided to only drink liquids until he could mount his horse. Unfortunately, his liquid diet consisted of only alcohol! This diet did not work out well for him and he died from complications of a wound he suffered while trying to get back on his horse. He was still so large that he did not fit in the coffin.
Since then there have been fad diets, hypnosis, and all types of other alleged “faster weight loss” methods. Let’s take a look at why these faster ways to lose weight may not be the safest or the best way for weight loss that is sustainable.
Is Fast Weight Loss Safe?
Some of the weight loss diets that claim they offer the fastest way for weight loss may work for some individuals in the short term but these extreme weight loss measures are unbalanced and unsafe in the long term. Individuals may lose weight fast initially, but then quickly regain the weight they lost, and sometimes more, once they stop following these extreme weight loss diets.
Do Not Be Enticed By Celebrities “Lose Weight Fast” Diets
Most people are wary of ‘fad’ diets or diets that have strange elements like only eating baby food or clipping your nose while you eat but many try diets that their friends are using or that are made popular by a celebrity or do not sound too crazy. The issue with this is that even though these diets may work for weight loss initially, they are not safe or healthy when used long-term because they are missing elements that are essential to our bodies.
Just because someone else is doing it, does not mean you should do it. Do you hear your mother’s voice now? A glaring example of this can be taken from the 18th century and the infamous Lord Byron. He was the moody poet that made impressionable like-minded teenage girls swoon.
Lord Byron suffered from what we call “body image” today and historians believe his behavior vacillated between anorexia and bulimia. He was terrified of becoming fat and even told friends that he would rather die than be fat. Lord Byron was 5’ 8” and fluctuated between 130 lbs and 200 lbs
He had very unhealthy eating habits and did all kinds of crazy things to lose weight fast. His diet consisted of soda water potatoes soaked with vinegar, biscuits, some vegetables, and cigars. He was also known to wear several layers of coats while exercising as he thought sweating was a faster way to weight loss. He died at age 36 from a fever thought to be induced by a relapse of malaria but his physician said that his eating habits left his body in a weakened state.
Some historians call Lord Byron the first celebrity diet influencer because of his 1820 diet of water and vinegar that many young women tried to follow and some even died. Today there are still variations of vinegar diets such as the apple cider vinegar diet that is advertised as the fastest way of weight loss. Apple cider vinegar may be beneficial in small doses but can potentially cause damage to your teeth, throat, or stomach. If you want to lose weight fast, find a healthy balanced diet and do it safely. Do not follow a diet just because a friend or well-known celebrity is doing it.
Key Secret to Losing Weight - Dr. Chris From IBI Healthcare Institute
Weight loss is one of the paramount factors in healthy living. However, people do not understand how to accurately measure their weight loss over time. this causes confusion and frustration. Listen to Dr. Chris's Take on weight loss and measuring your weight on the scale.
Unbalanced Diets Are Still Being Used Today
People are still using unbalanced diets today to try to achieve quick weight loss. Some people have success with these diets and they do lose weight but the question becomes how long can they continue to follow these diets before their health suffers? Some popular unbalanced diets that are still used today include:
- Low-Carbohydrate High-Fat Diets
- These diets are low in carbohydrate intake and are primarily fat based. During the first weeks of these ketogenic diets, the fast weight loss patients experience is from the loss of water not fat.
- Overall studies show that these types of diets do not offer metabolic weight reduction advantages and when followed long-term can lead to bone loss and can cause a build-up of blood uric acid which can lead to gout or kidney stones. Also, the lack of dietary fiber from the many excluded fruits and veggies can increase the risk of cancer.
- Low-Fat High-Carbohydrate Diets
- Diets that fall into this category follow a plant-based protocol including vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and legumes. This sounds good at first but may increase nutritional deficiencies because many other healthy food groups are not included. These diets are lacking in healthy fats which are needed to keep the body in optimal health.
- Polyunsaturated fatty acids are essential to our hearts, brain function, and human development and growth. Once again, a diet that is unbalanced or excludes necessary food groups can create nutritional deficiencies.
- Extremely Low-Calorie Diets
- Diets that strictly limit calorie intake offer fast weight loss and can lead to health benefits such as the remission of weight-related diseases like type 2 diabetes and a reduction of excess fat in the liver.
- Super low-calorie or “crash” diets should not be something that you do on your own. Diets that are medically supervised can help you lose weight fast but with measures in place to ensure your safety during your fast weight loss.
- Sustaining a very low-calorie diet to lose weight fast is not only challenging for most individuals to do on their own but it can cause side effects including heart arrhythmia, low blood sugar, dehydration, fatigue, constipation, hair loss, gout, gallstones, micronutrient deficiency, and more.
- While these diets are some of the fastest ways for weight loss, they should be done only in certain circumstances and under a doctor’s care such as before or after bariatric surgery along with supplemental vitamins and minerals.
Extreme Diets Offer Fast Weight Loss That Is Not Sustainable
Extreme diets that use unbalanced nutrition are not safe or sustainable long-term. The weight the individual has lost quickly finds its way right back to them causing the frustrating vicious cycle of yo-yo dieting. The patient’s best way to lose weight fast and safely is to commit to some major lifestyle changes that are focused on their health and well-being.
These changes need to include a balanced healthy diet that is low in calories but rich in the nutrients that the body needs to function properly and should also include plenty of physical exercises. Healthy diets consist of whole foods (foods that are not pre-packaged, fast food, or processed) that represent selections from each major food group. These lifestyle changes will not only help combat obesity but will also give your body what it needs to help keep you healthy.
Your body is similar to a machine in that it requires certain things to continue to run smoothly without breaking down.
Would you put soda in your car gas tank? Of course not, that would result in irreparable damage to the fuel system and engine.
The same is true for your body. If you feed your body a constant diet of fast food, high sugar drinks, and foods laced with chemicals that no one can even pronounce, it is going to break down. You need to give your body the right kind of fuel to keep it functioning properly.
If you have tried to lose weight on your own and have been unsuccessful, it might be time to get some help. One of the fastest ways to lose weight safely is under the care of an experienced board-certified bariatric doctor. At IBI Healthcare Institute, you can expect the highest level of individualized patient care and support.
We offer both surgical and non-surgical supervised weight loss programs including prescription weight loss medication that can help you lose weight faster and more efficiently than if you tried to manage it on your own. Our dedicated team of professionals is here to help you achieve your weight loss goals and get your health back on track.
Set up a consultation today and learn more about what fast weight loss options might be right for you!
Take the first step on your journey to a healthy life
IBI Healthcare Institute provides an unmatched patient experience and outstanding results. You matter to us.