EsoGuard DNA Test
If a 5-minute office-based test could save your life, would you do it?
Early detection of abnormal esophageal cells can identify precancerous DNA methylation biomarkers allowing time for treatment, intervention, and prevention of esophageal cancer.
What is EsoGuard?
EsoGuard is a cutting-edge non-invasive test that can detect abnormal DNA cells in the esophagus. This 5-minute test can allow for early intervention of pre-cancerous conditions such as Barretts Esophagus to reduce the risk of developing cancer.
2021 Statistical data from the American Cancer Society reported an estimate of 19,260 newly diagnosed esophageal cancer cases in the USA and of those approximately 15,530 people will die from the disease. That is in one year! These are staggering statistics. The report went on to reveal that of these deaths, 12,410 were men and 3,120 were women.
Having the ability to detect pre-cancerous cells in the early stages is critical to intervene with monitoring and treatment before terminal esophageal cancer can develop.
Who is a Candidate For EsoGuard?
Individuals who have been diagnosed with Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) or are experiencing symptoms associated with GERD are candidates for EsoGuard screening.
GERD is a condition that occurs when digestive juices from the stomach travel upward and irritate the lining of the esophagus.
Symptoms of GERD include:
- Chest pain.
- Sore throat.
- Chronic hiccups.
- Excessive belching.
- Difficulty swallowing.
- Sour taste in the mouth
- Chronic coughing or choking.
- Hoarseness or change in voice.
- Loss of enamel and tooth decay.
- Nausea after eating or regurgitation.
- The sensation that food is trapped in the area behind the breastbone.
How is EsoGuard performed?
The EsoGuard test is very simple. There are no needles or blood required. Using a tool contained inside a small capsule EsoCheck, the doctor collects cells from the lower portion of the esophagus and sends them to the lab for testing.
There are three simple steps in this 5-minute test:
- The patient is given a small capsule to swallow that contains a tiny inflatable textured balloon that has a tiny catheter attached (EsoCheck tool).
- The doctor inflates the tiny balloon to the correct size once it reaches the patient’s stomach and then withdraws the tiny balloon by gently pulling the catheter up and out of the patient’s mouth. The textured sides of the balloon collect cells from the bottom of the esophagus on the way up.
- The collected cells are safely packaged and sent to the lab for testing.
When will I see the Results?
The results of the Esoguard test are normally ready and sent back to your doctor in 3-4 weeks.
What are the Benefits of EsoGuard?
- The biggest benefit of Esoguard is that it could save your life or the life of a loved one.
- In the United States, the 7th most common cause of cancer-related deaths in men is Esophageal cancer.
- The EsoGuard test using the EsoCheck tool can help detect the treatable benign precursors to esophageal cancer.
- Normally by the time patients are diagnosed, they are in an advanced stage leaving little time to treat and most result in death.
What is the typical cost of EsoGuard?
The cost of the Esoguard test may vary depending on insurance status and more. Visit our Pricing Page for more details.
What are the Risks of EsoGuard?
EsoGuard is a fast, simple procedure that is done in the doctor’s office and normally takes 5 minutes or less. EsoGuard is a very safe procedure, however, every procedure or treatment may have some side effects. The potential side effects of EsoGuard include sore or irritated throat, gagging, and mild discomfort.
If you or a loved one are suffering from symptoms of GERD or suspect you’re having symptoms of the condition developing, talk to your doctor today. In as little as 5 minutes, the caring medical professionals at IBI Healthcare Institute can perform the EsoGuard procedure. 5 minutes of your time that can bring you peace of mind is worth the investment.