Vaginal prolapse (a condition where the uterus, rectum, bladder and or urethra can begin to move from the normal position) is an issue that many women struggle with. If you are currently suffering from vaginal prolapse, you may already be aware of the negative effects it can have on your sex life, mental state, emotional well-being, confidence and sense of poise. Fortunately, there are surgical solutions to prolapse available to you at IBI Healthcare Institute.
What is prolapse surgery?There are several types of surgery that may be considered for the treatment of prolapse:
- Colporrhaphy: This is a type of surgery that is used to treat prolapse of the front and back wall of the vagina. It is a surgical procedure performed through the vagina using stitches to strengthen the vaginal canal.
- Fixation/ suspension: this is accomplished with your tissue. Essentially, the prolapsed area is attached to a muscle in the pelvis with stitches. This keeps the prolapsed area from falling back down.
- Sacrocolpopexy: this procedure uses mesh that is attached to the front and back of the vagina and then to the tailbone. This can help to lift the vagina and support it.
- Sacrohysteropexy: This can be used to treat prolapse as an alternative to a hysterectomy (a surgery that removes the uterus). Mesh is attached to the lower end of the uterus and then to the lower back, holding it into place.
- Vaginally placed mesh: This type of surgery can be used to treat all categories of prolapse. It is an option for women that do not have enough tissue structure to perform other types of prolapse surgery. Because it can cause complications in some women, it must be performed by a surgeon that is highly experienced in the field of vaginal reconstruction, such as those at IBI Healthcare Institute.
Am I a candidate for prolapse surgery?If you are having severe symptoms of prolapse that are interfering with your daily life, sexual health and general comfort you will most likely be a good candidate for prolapse surgery. Factors such as your age, whether you plan to have children in the future and your general health can affect your candidacy and ultimately, which surgery is right for you. You will undergo a thorough examination by one of our doctors during your initial consultation. During this time your goals for the procedure and any questions you may have will be thoroughly addressed.
Why choose IBI Healthcare Institute?
- IBI Healthcare Institute, formerly Georgia SurgiCare, is a luxury private surgical center. Our surgeons are at the top of their field and we offer their services at affordable rates.
- If you meet the medical criteria, in many cases, you will be able to receive your treatment right away.
- Our vaginal reconstructive surgeons are highly sought after for their expertise, training, and knowledge. Having a surgeon with an extensive history in this specialized area is extremely important when it comes to vaginal cosmetic and reconstructive surgery.
Take the first step on your journey to a healthy life
IBI Healthcare Institute provides an unmatched patient experience and outstanding results. You matter to us.