According to the CDC, over 42% of the United States adult population is considered obese with a BMI of 30 or more. Individuals who battle obesity often try many diets and weight loss methods but most are ineffective long-term. When all these methods fail, the most promising alternative to aid in long-term weight loss is bariatric surgery. Today we are comparing duodenal switch vs sleeve.
Two surgery options available are gastric sleeve surgery and duodenal switch surgery. Both are effective to help patients lose a substantial amount of weight, but is the duodenal switch the same as gastric sleeve? If not, when should gastric sleeve surgery be used and when should the duodenal switch be used? Read on to learn more about each procedure, how they differ, and some pros and cons of each.
Gastric Sleeve Surgery Overview
Sleeve gastrectomy surgery or more commonly known as gastric sleeve surgery is a bariatric technique used to aid in long-term weight loss in obese patients.
A surgeon accesses the stomach laparoscopically through several small abdominal incisions and cuts away about 80% of the patient’s stomach and removes it.
The remainder of the stomach is stapled back together along the edge to form a sleeve-like tube that is shaped similar to a banana. The surgery works for weight loss in two ways:
- The patient will no longer be able to consume the same amount of food during a meal because of the smaller stomach size.
- The smaller stomach fills up faster, takes longer to digest what is eaten and therefore the patient feels “full” for a longer time.
Duodenal Switch Surgery Overview
The duodenal switch is the common name for biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch (BPD-DS). It is a more complex surgery that begins with gastric sleeve surgery but also involves re-routing the intestines.
The stomach is made smaller using the same technique as gastric sleeve surgery and then the small intestines are divided at the location within the small intestine responsible for dispensing the digestive enzymes (duodenum). Both sections of the small intestine are strategically re-attached to minimize the number of calories that can be absorbed and maximize the gastric juice’s digestive ability.
How Does Duodenal Switch Compare to Gastric Sleeve?
Differences Between Duodenal Switch vs. Gastric Sleeve Chart
|Gastric Sleeve||Duodenal Switch|
|1-2 hours||2-3 hours|
|Alterations to Stomach|
|The stomach is reduced by 80% shaping the remaining 20% into a tube-like sleeve|
|Alterations to Intestines|
|No alterations to intestines.||Splits the small intestine into two and re-routes them within the digestive system.|
|How Does the Surgery Affect the Way Food Is Digested?|
|No change in the way ingested food is processed or utilized.||The re-arrangement of the intestines in the digestive system reduces the ability of the body to absorb nutrients.|
Pros & Cons of Duodenal Switch vs. Gastric Sleeve Chart
|Gastric Sleeve||Duodenal Switch|
Video: Patient Testimonial – Life after Gastric Sleeve Surgery
Patient Testimonial - Life After Gastric Sleeve Surgery
Our patients success is our own success! Listen in to hear how this patient LOST 60 POUNDS in just 6 months!Send some love in the comments to CONGRATULATE th...
Weight Loss Surgery Alternative
After reviewing the risks and complications listed above that may result from a surgical procedure, you might be asking yourself what is the safest form of weight loss surgery?
Even though laparoscopic surgery, such as gastric sleeve, is considered minimally invasive there are incisions involved so also an increase in risk. In addition, it brings with it a substantial recovery process and time frame.
There is a non-surgical procedure that can accomplish very close to the same results as gastric sleeve surgery. This procedure is called endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty (ESG) and is a cutting-edge procedure that has caught the attention of many surgeons over recent years.
ESG is performed outpatient with no hospital stay required, no incisions, or long recovery times. ESG is a valuable tool when combined with diet and exercise, and can help obese individuals lose between 60-70% of their excess weight in about 18 months.
To learn more about ESG contact IBI Healthcare Institute for a consultation today! We are here to help you navigate through choosing the best weight loss procedure for you and provide answers to all of your questions.