Telemedicine is a medical advancement that fights geographic barriers by increasing access to health care, especially in rural areas and countries in general. Even with the need for social distancing, this is a very appropriate way to seek the medical needed from the comfort of your home.
What is Telemedicine?
Defining telemedicine may seem like a simple task, but there are many definitions and nuances. Telemedicine means medicine at a distance (diagnosis, treatment, etc.), through technological resources that optimize care, saving time and costs, and increasing accessibility. In this same line but broader and with nuances, the World Health Organization (WHO) defines it as providing health services, where distance is a critical factor, for any health professional, using the new technologies of the communication for the valid exchange of information in the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of diseases or injuries, research and evaluation, and continuing education of health providers, all with the interest of improving the health of individuals and their communities. ”
Types of Telemed Appointments
However, Telemedicine has been occupying more and more space in the healthcare process. It is currently starting to be used for remote monitoring and follow-up of patients, and different applications are emerging for it. Among them, we highlight:
- Teleconsultation. It enables remote monitoring, diagnosis or treatment of patients. For this, the exchange of clinical information is essential. Examples of this are the transmission of radiology or similar images (teleradiology), laboratory or electronic medical history (telepathology), as well as their application in specialties such as dermatology, psychiatry or cardiology, among others.
- Telemonitoring. Facilitates the monitoring of patients –in many cases chronically ill- incorporating biological, physiological and biometric parameters. Telemonitoring plays a fundamental role in empowering patients with respect to their health. Thus, it allows them to take an active role in their care while reducing their hospital stay.
How is it Conducted?
Telemedicine is carried out in several ways. But the simplest and most obvious is that of a simple video call (as it normally does with family and friends), however, the companies that provide this service require more than a camera and a microphone, they need a secure platform that complies with HIPAA, at IBI Healthcare Institute we have a telemedicine platform that meets all the established requirements for your security and privacy.
There are various benefits of Telemedicine and the future is increasingly promising for health systems and its sustainability. Here are some key benefits:
- Equity in access to health services
- Enables collaborative work between teams of clinical professionals
- Promotes continuity of care
- Improving the efficiency of health services.
Telemedicine stands as a bet to solve the socioeconomic challenges that health systems face globally. Its role in optimizing healthcare resources, better managing demand, reducing hospital stays and reducing the number of trips, increases the importance of this technology for improving the efficiency and sustainability of healthcare systems.
To schedule a consultation via telemedicine, call us today at 678-466-6760 or send us a text 678-903-1180.